Funny, thinking back on the route these pieces took. I started with sketches based on jpegs of figurative paintings snagged from my Tumblr feed. I quickly simplified the forms and decided to limit myself to three parts for each piece. I worked on the drawings on the wall, tweaking the curves for days.
I settled on the four drawings I liked best and developed them as one piece, painting and repainting the parts with acrylic paint, solid colors, some straight from the tube or jar. I determined I didn’t need the negative space on the four sheets of paper and found some 1/8 inch plastic. I photographed the drawings and scaled them up to fit the plastic sheets by projecting them on to the plastic. I took the sheets down to my neighbor, Jared’s, used his jig saw to cut them out. Pete Monacelli helped me mount wood frame to the back of the plastic so I could hang them. Duane helped me photograph the pieces so I could come up with this reproduction.